[Sugar-devel] Current status of GTK+ 3.x migration

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Dec 26 11:34:30 EST 2015

Quoting Tony Anderson (2015-12-26 21:11:09)
> I guess you see how far out from the developer community I am. I
> associate sucrose with Activity Central. I am not sure what a sucrose
> developer is.

You need not know the details of how the parts of a code eco-system is
divided in order to help: Report bugs to the corresponding issue
tracker, and those who know better will pass on the information to the
right part of the eco-system.

...but I strongly advice you to try not be judgemental without even
understanding (just the very broad) anatomy of the thing you judge: Ask
instead of judging!

What I am referring to is your telling (not asking) that GStreamer works
fine, which spawned this subthread.

> The involved developers have been doing well. However, for many of the
> activities in ASLO, the original contributors have moved on, a natural
> situation in open source.

Sure it is natural for developers to move on, and as a consequence, it
is natural for some projects (those left without active developers) to
to stop working when the underlying environment develops.  Such
situation is called "bit-rot", and calls for either new devoted
developers to step in, or that code to be dropped.  In such situations
it is not helpful to point at "the old code worked fine, there was no
need to change anything" - if you wanna live in the past then simply
don't upgrade the _whole_ system at all.

> There is no attempt to point fingers, the decision is there. If Sugar
> is to move to the mobile device, it appears necessary to work in a
> Javascript not Python environment. So an activity developer/maintainer
> needs to decide whether his investment in time in GTK is warranted or
> should be spent it in rewriting the activity as a Sugar-web-activity.

You bring Javascript into this conversation, not me.  For my part, we
are talking about migration from GTK+ 2.x to GTK+ 3.x and how some
activities fall behind in that transition.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas