[Sugar-devel] Sugar-install-bundle in 13.2.5 is slooow

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:00:54 EDT 2015

Tony,
If you can enable logging (remove the comment in the line SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL
in the file /home/olpc/.sugar/default/debug)
And install one of the activities without unset the SUGAR_PROFILE env
variable,
and send the log, maybe we can understand better what is happening.

I am afraid the slowness will impact Browse even if you patch it, because
Browse process
run in a environment with the env variable set.

One more question: the time is bigger in slower devices (XO-1) than in XO-4,
or is independent of the hardware performance?

Gonzalo

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> G'day Sam,
>
> Adding a flag for a workaround seems like you've given up.  ;-)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem?  As you can see from
> #4849 it occurs in Sugar, and only inside Terminal activity.
>
> Why is it happening?
>
> Why does it take up to 24 minutes to install Browse using Terminal?
>
> Why does it take up to 5 minutes to install in Sugar 0.98?
>
> And yet only half a second if the bundle registry is bypassed?
>
> The bundle registry can't be that slow.
>
> By understanding the problem we'll be able to say whether it is
> causing any other slowness of Sugar.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/