[Sugar-devel] Speech synthesizer in sugar web

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Thu Aug 20 07:24:15 EDT 2015

Hello Yander,

Sugar uses webkit to run web activities.  On sugar-build it is via WebKit2
(same as GNOME Web/Ephipany, Apple Safari) and WebKit(1) on XO.  Neither of
these platforms support the speech api, infact neither of them support many
of the flashy new stuff :)

Sugar however has tts built in powered by espeak.  Users can highlight
speech and use a button in the frame to play it back.

Maybe you should look into exposing the tts functions provided by sugar3 to
web activities?  Then you could make an abstraction between the 2 backends.

Of course, you could look into using [FireFox, CEF, Servo] to run sugar web
activities, but that is another thing all together!

Thanks,
Sam