[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Social Help

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:27:04 EDT 2015

Hi Gonzalo,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Sam P. <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gonzalo,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 3:37 AM Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But if the server url can be configured (as in the proposal)
>>> In theory you could Sugar Network too at the server side, right?
>>> We only need define a standard way to provide context, like a parameter
>>> for the bundle_id
>>>

>> Yes, that is possible.  The api is very simple, the webview URL is set to:
>>
>>     SERVER/goto/BUNDLE
>>

> Should be good check and agree with Sugar Network developers.
> Could be a good idea add the nick name and the user colors as parameters?
>

>> So, you could make sugar network respond to this, add a redirect or
>> create a separate redirector server (as I do with
>> socialhelp.sugarlabs.org).
>>
>> It also has the merged native/web toolbar.  The webview adds the class
>> "sugar" to your document body so you can then compensate for the 55x55
>> close button on the top right.
>>

> I would prefer use just the standard Sugar toolbar.
> If the page design change, or you use another server (like Suugar Network)
> or if you
> have a monitor with different pixel size, the merged toolbar will look
> wrong.

I have to disagree with you here.

For pixel size, websites just use em for the toolbar instead of px.  Sites
like sugar-network seem to already be doing this.  You must use em in order
to not look like tiny font on the xo anyway.

For other services, it is super duper easy to integrate.  For example, this
is all the CSS needed for discourse:

    .sugar header.d-header {
        width: -webkit-calc(100% - 2.813em);
    }

Or for sugar-network:

    .sugar #toolbar {
        width: -webkit-calc(100% - 2.813em);
    }

And even if the app does not have a toolbar, it is just a little button in
the top right and it looks fine.

> You lost 55 px, but you remove complexity and gain flexibility.

55px is very important.  On some platforms, it is actually even 75 px.

You loose 55px top padding, 55px bottom padding, 55px sugar toolbar and
then ~55px for the web toolbar.  That brings the total to 220px or 300px on
a device with XO pixel density.  What that equates to is very small.  I had
a go on my XO [1], and there was only 7cm height left for the content
(almost same for discourse and sugar-network)!

I understand that the XO is not our only platform.  But on a small laptop,
adding more toolbars is just counterproductive.

> We can use the same viewhelp.py, just adding a toggle bottom to switch to
> the social help (at the left, the only buttons aligned at the right are
> the Stop buttons)

The idea of a toggle in the bottom left sounds good.

Thanks,
Sam

[1]  http://imgur.com/FJFAcpl