[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] The touchscreen gesture to bring up the Frame...

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Apr 9 11:14:38 EDT 2015

...is:

1.- Undiscoverable:

    (If you're wondering; you have to pass your finger thru the
rightmost border of the screen from top to bottom).

2.- Only practical to do on XO (because the screen has a bevel). Most
laptops with touchscreen in the market don't have this bevel.

3.- It's very easy to hit the Stop button (in an activity) when trying
to invoke the frame from the touchscreen.

4.- Other ways to invoke the frame are equally funny: Alt-Shift-F, F5
(or is it F6? I never remember)

For all of these reasons, I think there has to be a better way.

One or more of the following come to mind:

a) We could add another hotkey. I've thought a lot about the CAPS LOCK
key, for instance.
b) Add a keybinding configuration option to My Settings, so that this is
configurable.
c) Add another frame invocation touch gesture.
d) Admit we don't care about other hardware than XO (I do!)

Would be nice if the community and the design team would re-engage in
thinking over some of our assumptions in the post XO age, for example,
color.
Otherwise it might be up to the development team alone (I guess that's
where Alt-Shift F came from).

Regards,
Sebastian