[Sugar-devel] Happy / Sad laptop system load monitor

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Fri May 23 14:28:21 EDT 2014

Concky looks great, but I thought we could only embed Python code in the
frame.

If a rewrite in Python is required, then we could as well start from
Tincho's original work and improve it. While the happy/sad laptop might
be an over-simplification, opening the palette did reveal real memory
and cpu usage data:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Dextrose_resource_monitoring.png

The lag observed by Iain in updating the data also bothered me. The
stats were being updated every 5 seconds because a reviewer was
concerned about increasing idle power usage. I'd be in favor of
increasing the update frequency and maybe skip the UI updates when the
frame is hidden. The same optimization would benefit all the existing
frame indicators and background updates to the Network view, which take
a ton of CPU time.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team