[Sugar-devel] Happy / Sad laptop system load monitor

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:50:36 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org>wrote:

> Thans for the archeology Bernie!
>
> I agree that perhaps happy/sad isn't the proper metaphor. I remember
> having a similar WindowMaker dockapp, that would show the face from Doom's
> guy for the same purpose. Not very informative, but fun.
>
> Now, about this implementation, as i remember, once the palette is open,
> proper cpu/mem graphs appear. Perhaps we can come up with a less
> emotionally loaded metaphor.
>
> I would disagree that user's shouldn't need to know this data, in fact
> with such a constrained machine as XO it is pretty useful feedback and as I
> remember it was part of the original Sugar design (it was not in the frame,
> but in the home view's relative area of use for each active icon).

The original Sugar design used a different approach (a circle of activities
filling up in the center of the home screen). My objection to the Smiley
implementation was not that users shouldn't need to know these data.
Rather, not enough information was available and it was over-simplifying
something complex, masking the inherent complexity.

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs