[Sugar-devel] Atom shell

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Tue May 13 09:30:54 EDT 2014

On 13th of March 2014 15:06, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Christian Stroetmann
> <stroetmann at ontolab.com <mailto:stroetmann at ontolab.com>> wrote:
>
>     Aloha Everybody
>
>     Why don't you ask the creators of the Sugarfox project?
>

> Because I can't find anything about that on internet?

Yes, you are right. There is not much publicated under [1], because it
is self-explanatory: If Sugar Web runs on Firefox, then Sugar Web runs
on FirefoxOS, and basically it should be possible to use everything that
runs on Firefox with Sugar Web as well.

But I went back to my own Boot to WebKit stack in relation with
Sugarfox, because the fee for developers was too high besides some other
issues.

>     Seriously, FirefoxOS is an Android with Firefox as desktop, simply
>     said. Even the development environment is based on Firefox. So
>     what works on Firefox should directly work on FirefoxOS as well.
>
>     This leads us to Node.js. Personally, I do not like Node.js,
>     because it "internally uses the V8 JavaScript engine to execute
>     code" and "V8 was developed for the Chrome web browser" for
>     example, which was also the reason why I became desinterested in
>     Open webOS. Maybe the issue with the JavaScript engine is not that
>     worse.
>

> I am not a expert on the platform. (Really, I should say, I am deeply
> ignorant about that)
> What I like is the development environment, and the possibility of use
> already developed resources
> to do the "standard" tasks, take photos, save and play music, browse
> the web.
> We spent a lot of resources to implement that activities, and is not
> our core mission.
> Also, FirefoxOS is pointed to cheap devices for the third world, the
> target of Sugar too.
>
> Gonzalo

Ok, I understand, but let me give you and the other members of this
mailing-list the information that in this case the fight of the
platforms takes place on the level of the web browsers and not on the
level of the hardware and the underlying operating systems anymore. For
example, every larger manufacturer of mobile devices has announced such
cheap devices several months ago and virtually are running or will run
Android. So this is the reason why I guess that it will end up with
Android and Chrome on Nexus tablet computers and Chromebook netbooks.

Christian

[1] Sugarfox www.ontonics.com/innovation/pipeline.htm#sugarfox