[Sugar-devel] XO on Fedora 20 (was Re: [GSoC] Porting To Python3)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 8 18:02:52 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 11:49:39PM +0200, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> It would be good to start the kernel with
> systemd.unit=multi-user.target so that (hopefully) we just get a
> console instead of dcon freezing/X startup...
>
> I'm not sure how to easily pass kernel arguments on the XO
> though. Does anyone know?

Yes.  Stop Open Firmware at the ok [1] prompt, then edit the olpc.fth
file using microEmacs [2]:

    ok emacs int:\boot\olpc.fth

Scroll down to the extra kernel parameters section:

    \ " extra kernel parameters here" to boot-file

and change it to

    " systemd.unit=multi-user.target" to boot-file

Carefully see that the slash has been removed, and that a space is
kept after the first double quote character.  The slash is a comment
character [3].

Write the file with Control/X Control/S, then exit with Control/X
Control/C.

The file is reset by fs-update.

You can also customise olpc.fth in olpc-os-builder.

You can also manually pass arguments, but this is more typing and
isn't remembered:

ok " int:\boot\vmlinuz" to boot-device
ok " int:\boot\initrd.img" to ramdisk
ok " systemd.unit=multi-user.target" to boot-file
ok boot