[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] Porting To Python3

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 6 06:28:26 EDT 2014

I agree with Daniel.
We can't break compatibility again now.
The port from gtk2 to gtk3 was inevitable (needed to support touch devices,
and because some libraries like evince)
but at the time, required a huge amount of work,
without apparent benefits for the users (an a few regressions)
You need remember our code is not only Sugar core,
but the hundred of activities with different grades of maintainer support.
Then,  possible plan could be:
* Research changes needed to make the code compatible with python 2 and
python 3
* Prepare a test mechanism (applicable to core and activities)
* Research and if possible port telepathy-python to introspection. Bonus
points if testing is possible.
* Make core and toolkit compatible with python 2 & 3

Gonzalo

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM, kunal arora <kunalarora.135 at gmail.com>wrote:

> So, I did some research and found that it would be best to port sugar in
> the following way:
>
> 1) Resolve the dependency issue - mainly telepathy . Telepathy-python has
> been deprecated , so what would be the best way to deal with this? Would it
> best to just port it to python3 or something else?
>

> 2)Port sugar-build to Python3
>

> 3)Port Sugar-shell to Python3
>

> 4)Create a new Sugar-toolkit-gtk3-python3 from the old one and also keep
> the Sugar-toolkit-gtk3 for activities that haven't yet ported to Python3
> and slowly deprecate it with time as more and more activities shift to
> Python3.
>

> How the porting would be done:
>
> 1) Choose a single module.
>
> 2)Port the tests carefully and if there is not full test coverage , write
> some additional tests.
>
> 3) Update the code carefully to pass the tests.
>

> These links were and will be helpful as we can draw on the experience of
> organisations who have already ported their codebase to python3.
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Plan/Python3
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Port_Python_2_code_to_Python_3
>

> Is there any other strategy which would be better?
>
> Any feedback/comments are welcome.
>

> Kunal
>
> (IRC- curiousguy13)

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning