[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] SL #4756

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:28:01 EDT 2014

I implemented a solution to #4756:  Maximum Activities notification
doesn't display [1] [2]. My approach was to determine what window
(view, journal, activity) is open and put the alert in the appropriate
window.

As per the discussion below, Gonzalo suggests that there may be other
approaches, hence this email to Design.

----

<gonzalo> walterbender, is strange show a alert in a activity. what
you think about moving to the home to show the alert in the case of
trying to open one activity fro the clipboard?
<gonzalo> i mean, for the user, the activity canvas is only for
activity content, not for system messages
<gonzalo> when i say moving, i want to say switch to the home view
* tch has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
<walterbender> gonzalo, I was on the fence about that
<walterbender> gonzalo, it is an interesting trade-off
<walterbender> on the one hand, I think we don't want to have the
alert move the user away from where they were
<walterbender> but I agree it is a system alert
<gonzalo> walterbender, i understand is a corner case, but in fact we
are adding a api to show any message in the activity api
<gonzalo> walterbender, in fact is a design decision
<walterbender> gonzalo, I don't see the harm in adding the
functionality as long as we use it with discretion
<walterbender> I can see how the system might want to let the user
know something while they are in an activity, e.g., disk full
<walterbender> or battery dead... shutting down...
<walterbender> or the think you copied to the clipboard cannot be
opened right now
<walterbender> happy to have the design discussion
<gonzalo> collide a little with the notifications
<walterbender> maybe this should be a notification
<gonzalo> yes, could be implemented with a notification
<walterbender> I'll send an email to design

Suggestions/Comment?

regards.

-walter

--