[Sugar-devel] ARM fork

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 18 19:22:28 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:05:44AM -0700, Ryan Cunningham wrote:
> I have forked your "sugarlabs/sugar" GitHub repository and made some
> changes necessary to enable Sugar to operate successfully on ARM
> tablets.

Looks interesting.  Some comments on the patches:

- the way the OSK is invoked using explicit focus in and out events is
  a lot of change, and requires new activities, so there may be an
  opportunity to dig deeper into the software stack to have GTK+ do it
  instead, in the way that the XO-4 does in tablet mode now.

- invoke_onboard should pass PROCNAME to subprocess.call,

- neither invoke_onboard nor kill_onboard need to del PROCNAME, as it
  will be deleted at method exit,

- there's a race when using psutil to check if the process exists
  before starting it; it may be better to keep the subprocess object
  and check the status through it,

- the MC_LOGFILE quote removal from bin/sugar.in looks useful to
  Sugar Labs,

- the shellification of docs/release_howto.txt is nice, matches my
  style of instructions as copy and paste shell commands.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/