[Sugar-devel] Pootle SOS

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jul 20 14:15:15 EDT 2014

+rgs, +icarito (both of which expressed interest in supporting Pootle)

On 07/20/2014 01:36 PM, Martin Abente wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> What about investing some minutes this week to talk about Pootle's
> status, what is missing and how can we get it back to life?
>
> I suggest this Wednesday 23 July, 13:00 UTC.

It's a bit early for me, and definitely too early for rgs.
Can we do 15:00 UTC?

In case I miss the meeting, here's a full dump of my mind:

 - you, rgs and icarito already have root to newpootle.sugarlabs.org

 - full backups of the old pootle machine are on freedom, and all of you
have root access there too

 - Sysadmin documentation is in the usual place (the wiki). There are
several pages written by the previous Pootle maintainers:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/translate
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/Pootle
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/Pootle2.5
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/pootle

 The documentation needs to be consolidated into a single page and
updated. *PLEASE*, don't neglect this step; it will save a lot of time
to future maintainers.

 - The newpootle machine is still running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I strongly
recommend upgrading it to 14.04 (trusty) before proceeding. It won't
take more than 1h of work and I can do this.

 - There's an outdated instance of Pootle already running on newpootle.
It was setup by a previous volunteer, but never transitioned into
production due to difficulties with the git integration (iirc, cjl might
have more on this).

 - I strongly recommend upgrading to the latest release of Pootle before
doing anything else.

 - Then, the database and data from the backups needs to be restored and
probably converted to the Pootle 2.5 format (good luck with Django db
migration!)

 - Finally, the part where all past maintainers seem to get stuck: make
the Pootle <-> git integration work. I don't know what the actual
problem is; pushing to git should be a basic feature of a translation
system and I'm surprised this can't be made to work out of the box.

 - When everything works (and please test it well, Pootle likes to crash
and burn under load), we can change the DNS to point the CNAME
translate.sugarlabs.org to newpootle. Follow the Service/nameserver
documentation page to do this, or I can do it in 2 minutes.

--
 _ // Bernie Innocenti
 \X/  http://codewiz.org