[Sugar-devel] Helping people to get started

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 07:36:26 EST 2014

On 28 January 2014 15:18, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am late in this thread, because I was disconnected for a week.
> FWIW, I am listed as a contact here [1] (before me, was erikos)
> then I receive mails from people interested in participate.
> I usually ask for people interest and knowledge, and point them
> to the wiki and our communication channels.
> If he/she has a specific interest, I look for related information.
> After reply many of these mails one by one, I prepared a base mail model
> (at the end of this mail)
> If you have any comment or suggestion, great.
> Of course, would be good if other people volunteer to be a the contact,
> same people need a welcome word from a real person to start.

How many emails are you getting?

> Now, (just if is useful) a little history about the tasks lists:
> We have used two keywords in the past to signal bugs useful for new
> developers,
> 'sugar-love' [2] and 'easy-hack' [3].
> I started the 'easy-hack' list, because sugar-love tickets were not too
> easy,
> or were related to not maintained activities.
> At least in the past, the challenge has been keep the lists updated,
> by example, right now there are a lot of tickets with gci tasks completed,
> and we need integrate that work, and close the tickets.

I think we need a very well triaged list of bugs. That's what I've been
trying to do with the Sugar component, I wonder what is the situation with
activities. It's a *lot* of work but I don't think there is any way around
it, it's necessary for the project as a whole, not just for new
contributors.

Only on the top of that an easy-hack list is useful IMO. We should really
have only one keyword though and link it on the bugs.sugarlabs.org homepage.