[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Less confusing activities list

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:12:38 EST 2014

Hi!

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> 2014-01-24 Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>
> >
> > I worked on it for a little longer trying to make the star icons
> checkable, but there are lots of issues in doing so. In the end I think
> that it is very hard to implement and pretty worthless. Maybe a summary as
> a tooltip in the traditional design would be good, I'll try. Anyway, I
> really think the ticket is sort of fixed now; we now have check boxes in
> the journal. Also if you would like to see a bigger fix you can check out
> the sentence/expander view and the thumbnail view for the journal.
> >
> > The (very messy and not PEP8) code is here:
> https://github.com/SAMdroid-apps/sugar/blob/fb8ec62cf308236fa292dd2635d4071800b3f3e1/src/jarabe/desktop/activitieslist.py
> ,
>
> I tried to test your work replacing that file but got errors. Do you
> have a patch or diff against master?

Oh, that might be a palette error. The palette invoker tries to get the
path at the pointer and the icon_view replys differently to the tree_view
:(  Try using this too:
https://github.com/SAMdroid-apps/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/tree/journal-icon-view

The palette issue is:
 1. Making stuff not crash: the tree_view is different api wise to the
icon_view
 2. Making the palette actually show: this was my issue

And the whole thing with the stars is weird. The events like toggle don't
seem to be passed on normally to the cell renderer. The (gtk) model code
also has a major bug that prevents you from changing the values of a
inserted row (a name error or something funny).

Thanks,
Sam