[Sugar-devel] Localizing OLPC Android Apps

samy (free) s.boutayeb at free.fr
Thu Jan 16 01:18:38 EST 2014

Hi,

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:04:54 -0500
> From: Mike Lee <curiouslee at gmail.com>
> To: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
> Cc: Sugar Devel <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Localizing OLPC Android Apps
>
> Thanks Chris.
>
> Most of what is on the XO Tablet is closed source, including the
> launcher. So I guess closed source app developers will need to use a
> paid service like https://poeditor.com/
>
> Mike
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Chris Leonard
> <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a tool called android2po
> >
> > https://github.com/miracle2k/android2po
> >
> > That converts between Android resource files and gettext PO files.
> >
> > We would be more than happy to host any Open Source (Sugar Labs /
> > OLPC) related files on Pootle.  If the software is not open source, it
> > would be incompatible with our status as a member project of the
> > Software Freedom Conservancy to dedicate resources to it.
> >
> > cjl
> > Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Mike Lee <curiouslee at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> All (and Chris Leonard),
> >>
> >> In the YouTube video by Charbax where he visits the OLPC booth at CES
> >> 2014, a request was put out to viewers to help localize Android apps
> >> into multiple languages for deployments.
> >>
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/11960151794/
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS_Ikc7G4Wk
> >>
> >> Not that I expect a flood of volunteers, but does anyone know anything
> >> about this? If someone did go to the URL overlayed in the video, they
> >> would find no mention of Android apps.
> >>
> >> Mike

Basically, the localization of Android applications involves the use of
an editor able to manage multilingual resource files (strings.xml) and
the creation of corresponding localized files (e.g.
res/values-fr/strings.xml, for the French strings,
res/values-ja/strings.xml, for the Japanese strings, etc.)

For more information about the localization workflow, see:

http://developer.android.com/training/basics/supporting-devices/languages.html

http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/publish/localizing.html

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/localization.html

http://googledevelopers.blogspot.fr/2012/03/localize-your-apps-and-content-more.html