[Sugar-devel] Inhibit suspend support on sugar toolkit

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jan 13 12:29:31 EST 2014

I am trying to upstream this patch
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/89
used in AU and in the dextrose images. Other than the code changes needed,
would be good know if there are consensus about two topics:

1) Why is needed this patch?

In the xo, while WOL (wake up on lan) is implemented, there are situations
where
traffic is lost while the xo is suspended [1] . That means sugar
collaboration lost messages,
and by example we don't see a user or a activity shared in the neighborhood
or the collaboration in a activity is broken. This patch attempt to solve
the problems
in activities only, by inhibit the suspend while the activity is shared.
This patch was proposed in the ticket [2]

2) Add a module for power management in the toolkit:

In the patch review, dnarvaez suggested move the power management methods to
a different module. I agree that have a lot of sense, even if now we have a
single user, because:
* make easier have a single implementation, if we later need make changes
for other
implementations.
* we can add more uses in sugar, by example, inhibit suspend while the user
is in the neighborhod view.
* a few activities need inhibit suspend, like Clock, Distance or StopWatch.

What other people think about this?
I am happy to improve the patch according to feedback.

--
Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10912
[2] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10363