[Sugar-devel] Deprecation policy - was: About show-launcher option
manuq at laptop.org
Mon Jan 13 12:21:07 EST 2014
2014/1/13 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> IMO it should be deprecated and then removed at some point. In general, I
> think our approach to API stability is way too ad hoc. We need some rules,
> even if very simple, to define what is public, how/when it is deprecated,
> and how/when it is removed.
- when an API change arises, we discuss a time range for activities to adapt
the time range is measured in number of releases
- we do the change in the code, leaving the old code
- the deprecation is marked in the old code, adding a comment, logging a warning
- the deprecation is announced in each release notes,
asking activity developers to update their code
mentioning for how many number of releases it will keep working
- activity developers upload new versions to activities.sugarlabs.org,
marking the corresponding Sugar version
- after the aggreed time, the old code is removed
This is more or less what we've been doing. I think when the toolbars
API changed we gave about 1 year for adaptation.
.. manuq ..
More information about the Sugar-devel