[Sugar-devel] Collaboration support for sugar web activities

Lionel Laské lionel at olpc-france.org
Sun Jan 12 05:20:40 EST 2014

Collaboration means exchanging data between activities. It's the easy part
because we could found lot of technologies that could do that: webRTC, web
sockets or any higher layer API on top of it (like the nice TogetherJS API).

BTW today collaboration in Sugar means also:
- include a button "share" in the toolbar of the activity,
- see shared activities in the network view near the buddy icons,
- join a shared activities in the network view so Sugar could launch it in
the shared context,
- send invitation that Sugar will put in the border of the invited users.

None of this features will come easily if we don't reuse Telepathy in Sugar
web collaboration because all of these features are handled by Sugar core.
It's what I called "degraded collaboration experience": Sugar web
activities will have to implement invitation outside Sugar core.

Because, by definition, Sugarizer can't use Telepathy, it's a place where I
hope to reproduce the full experience on top of the collaboration API we'll
decide to choose.

            Lionel.