[Sugar-devel] Collaboration support for sugar web activities

Emil Dudev emildudev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 10:21:03 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 January 2014 15:21, Emil Dudev <emildudev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Can a similar web server be set up like jabber.sugarlabs.org is?
>>

> Do you mean if it's possible to setup another instance of the jabber
> server to be used with telepathy? I think it is possible, but my
> understanding is that no one ever managed to setup a reliable server
> (probably because of the way our telepathy stack works, I'm not sure).

I was thinking of a server to handle web sockets. Like TogetherJS's 'hub
server'.
Currently my code uses telepathy only to send an invitation with the
TogetherJS ID. Once the 2 clients have that ID, the collaboration is
handled with web sockets through the hub server. As mentioned above, my
code currently uses a TogetherJS hub server, offered by Mozilla for public
use.
I was going to drop this hub server, by redirecting it's traffic through
telepathy, but since telepathy is unreliable...

A possible way to limit telepathy usage is to setup such a server for
sugar's needs. All the collaboration for sugar's web activities will go
through it. It will use web sockets, not telepathy, so things should work
without problems.
For school networks, we can provide a way to host a local hub server to
deal with web sockets.
As mentioned above, to start the session, one ID needs to be exchanged. I
think that telepathy can handle this simple task.

Still a decision whether to use TogetherJS's library with it's hub server,
or build a custom library with a custom hub server.

Emil Dudev