[Sugar-devel] What should be the ideal range for animations FPS ?

laurent bernabe laurent.bernabe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 15:55:54 EST 2014

2014/1/8 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 11:49:56AM +0100, laurent bernabe wrote:
> True, but if you make a simple test available, others can test it for
> you.
>
> Especially so if you can figure a way to give the test report on
> screen, like a frame rate achieved.

If I've well understood, I should give a way to turn on/off the frame rate
display ?
(Like in some games / 3D frameworks).

> Yes, it is not practical to have a suggested range given the number of
> variables.
>
> However, designing for higher values can have benefits ... in research
> for Netrek it was found that:
>
> - five frames per second is a minimum for perception of motion, but
>   most users will perceive the steps and use them as the basis for
>   their reaction, such that when the rate is increased their training
>   has to be redone,
>
> - ten frames per second is preferable, with most users still
>   perceiving the steps,
>
> - 25 frames per second is very good, with most users not perceiving
>   the steps,
>
> - 50 frames per second is excellent.

Thank you very much for this guideleness.
So, in my case, I should keep a frame rate around 50, if I really need to
fix it myself (I am thinking about the javascript requestAnimationFrame()
function).

> > And also, as I've been told on this mailing list, there is a new
> > Javascript API in order to let the computer(web browser ?) hold this
> > value for the programmer.
> >
> > So I think the "issue" can easily be solved : at least with this
> > requestAnimationFrame() function.
>
> Great.
>
> --
> James Cameron