[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Network view refresh button

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Jan 6 10:09:32 EST 2014

2013/12/11 Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org>:
> +1
>
> The networking / collaboration stack is big and complex, and interact with
> power management and timing issues,
> in ways difficult to solve for all the cases.
>
> Dextrose used (and we include in AU image) a patch to disable suspend/resume
> while a activity is being shared [1] and the associated ticket [2] show how
> complex is the issue.
>
> I think be we should include this patch, and disable suspend/resume when the
> user is in the neighborhood view too.
>
> Gonzalo
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/godiard/au1b_rpms/blob/master/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/0001-Inhibit-suspend-while-a-activity-is-shared-OLPC-1036.patch
> [2] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10363

I agree Emil patch is simple, and the solution is easy.

I agree with Gary that the solution is wrong, the collaboration stack
should just work without the user intervention.

I agree no one wants to invest time fixing the collaboration stack for
real, so I agree to go with a workaround.

Just want to ask, couldn't this be workarounded without requiring the
user intervention?  For example checking from time to time if the
network is connected, and if not performing a refresh.

I just hope more of us drop tears each time we sacrifice Sugar simplicity :)

--
.. manuq ..