[Sugar-devel] Fedora repository with snapshots from git

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 21:10:06 EST 2014

# The short version

If you want to try the very latest sugar on Fedora (18, 19 or 20, bothi386
and x86_64), you just need to

sudo curl -o /etc/yum.repos.d/sugar.repo
http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dnarvaez/sugar/repo/fedora-20-i386

(Replace fedora-20 with your installed version of course).

yum update
yum install sugar-runner

sugar-runner

# How does it work

I've been thinking for a while about a good way to produce rpms of the
latest Sugar on the top of stable Fedora distributions and I finally found
something that is probably easy enough to setup and maintain. It works this
way

* Github is setup to make a POST on http://MyServer/api/github for every
commit.

* MyServer downloads a tarball from github, build a source rpm, publish it
and sends the url to copr.fedoraproject.org. You can see the code here

https://github.com/dnarvaez/sugar-copr/blob/master/app.js

Yes, it's ugly and fragile but it's pretty simple really, so it should not
be a big effort to finish it up.

* Copr builds rpms for various Fedora versions and architectures, then
publish them in a yum repository. You can see what it looks like here

http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dnarvaez/sugar/

# What are my goals

* Make it easy for people to test the latest sugar. With just a "yum
update" they are going to be able to get the very latest git master at any
time. On their own laptop (as long as they use Fedora) and hopefully soon
on the XO.
* Make it easy to build custom distributions with a stable system and the
latest Sugar. What OLPC Australia is doing for example. The idea is that
instead of managing patches, building rpms etc all manually, you just push
on a git branch and let copr deal with the builds.
* Help the efforts to get Sugar running nicely on new hardware. It should
be really easy to make changes and have people test them. Push to a git
branch, wait a bit, and yum update on the hardware.

# What is left to do

* Copr is cool but it's still a bit of a work in progress. Mainly the
hosted instance lacks support for Fedora ARM. I'm trying to figure out when
they plan to set one up. If it's not planned really soon I will probably
try to setup our own instance for now. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to
be trivial at the moment (making it easy is one of the goals of the project
though). See

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/copr.git/tree/copr-setup.txt

* Make the nodejs app solid enough. It crashes, doesn't handle branches and
little unimportant stuff like that at the moment :)

--
Daniel Narvaez