[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [b2g] Introducing B2G to x86

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Fri Feb 28 12:00:13 EST 2014

At this point I would like to mention some last words and then stop
sending e-mails to this thread.

I am sorry to say that I could not tell you and others what I really
wanted to say. Maybe, it was due to a language barrier on my side. Ich
kann auch in Deutsch schreiben, falls es so leichter für alle
Beteiligten und Interessierten ist.

So, a last time once again. In general, if a registered trademark is
very well known by the public, or said in other words, if it is part of
the colloquial language/common speech, then such a trademark can be
deleted from a trademark registry, which surely results in an update of
the WIPO ROMARIN database.
The registered trademark 'LEGO' is such a registered trademark, which
has become a term/word of many common speeches worldwide, definitely.
For example, a very common speech act is 'Let's play lego', like the
speech act 'Let's google it'.

In this respect I wrote before, that I do not think that Lego is in
control over its registered trademark 'LEGO' anymore, because I think
that the term/word 'lego' is part of many common speeches worldwide and
hence should be deleted from the related trademark registries
respectively databases due to the legal rule that a term/word that
belongs to a common speech is not qualified to be protected by the
public as a registered trademark (anymore). I did not meant that the
term/word 'lego' is not a registered trademark of Lego. I meant that
Lego might loose it potentially due to the laws.

If the company Lego thinks that a person, group or corporation has
infringed its trademark 'LEGO', wants to vigorously defend this
infringement, and sues this person, group, or corporation, then Lego
risks that the opposite party questions the legality of Lego's trademark
registration and in this way start a legal process that in the end
deletes the registered trademark 'LEGO' from the registry. In fact, here
begins highly complex legal stuff even for the company Lego and it is
already up to Lego how far it goes with its gambling in this specific
case of the term/word 'lego' that is actually registered as the
trademark 'LEGO'. By the way: A similar case at the courts was e.g.
Lindows vs. Windows, that ended with a big cheque for the side of
Lindows (see [2]).

This is how it works at least in Europe, and in this respect the
statements on the referenced webpage of Lego (see [1]) have to be seen
as well. In fact, some rules are simply said not as valid as Lego claims
as part of its gambling.

Said this, the WIPO ROMARIN database does not contradict me regarding
the registered trademark 'LEGO'.

By the way, the term/word 'sugar' is also part of common speech.

Have fun
Christian Stroetmann

[1] aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/legal-notice/fair-play
<http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/legal-notice/fair-play>
[2] Wikipedia, Linspire en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindows