[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [b2g] Introducing B2G to x86

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Thu Feb 27 03:29:27 EST 2014

On Thu, 27.02.2014 01:13, Bastien wrote:
> Christian Stroetmann<stroetmann at ontolab.com>  writes:
>
>> For sure, there is the One Tablet Per Child (OTPC) respectively One
>> Pad Per Child (OPPC) project by my business division intellitablet
>> since July 2012 (see [1]).
> A trademark is not just about adding (TM) after a bunch of other
> trademarks.
>
> I doubt you officially registered "One Tablet Per Child".
>
> I mean... "One LEGO Laptop Per Child (TM)"... a new trademark with
> LEGO within it, seriously?

You are right and wrong. Indeed, the related laws are complex and it
needs some time and often support by an attorney for common people to
understand them a little. So please, ask a attorney, and keep in mind
that the terms are used commercially and are copyrighted as well. That
is also the reason, why a said in an e-mail before, that the issue with
the trademark is irrelevant here.

The point with LEGO in a new trademark is serious.
For example, if a registered trademark belongs to a common language,
which is the case if the trademark is known very well by the public,
like for example Lego, Windows, Google, Android, and so on, then the
trademark laws say, that it can be deleted from the trademark register.
Said this, I already doubt in this specific case that the company LEGO
has still control over the trademark LEGO.
Nevertheless, it was meant as a place holder and an idea contributer, if
the company LEGO would be interested in such a One LEGO Laptop Per Child
(TM) device on the one hand and on the other hand a mark that my company
publicated the concept with this title. There are more points to say,
but again ask an attorney, look at other laws, and so on, and respect my
company's trademarks.

Regards
Christian Stroetmann