[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Backup / Restore feature

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Mon Feb 17 15:07:12 EST 2014

Thanks Manuq by the review!
Comments below

> I think this feature should live in My Settings for the following reasons:

When we worked on this we have a doubt about putting it in the cp too,
finally decided make the UI relative to the Journal because:

* Is a Journal Backup, not a system backup (configs or activities are not
backuped)
* In the Sugar UI the cp is refered as "Settings". Backup is not a setting,
but anyway, "Software Update" or "Switch Desktop" are not setting neither...

> - it is a global operation, like My Settings > Software Update
>
> - the patch adds a new modal window that is very similar to My
> Settings.  This is very prone to confusion. And we should aim to have
> only one modal to not complicate the shell.
>
> - the code should live in extensions/cpsection.  This way is more
> separated from the shell.  The less shell code we maintain, the
> better.  And the less decoupled from the Journal, the better too (I
> had to solve one conflict to test it already).

This is not a good argument :)
We maintain all the extensions included by default in Sugar too :)

> i can see why is good to have this attached to the Journal, but in my
> opinion there are more cons than pros going that way.

Finally, I can move it, I would like to know if there are more opinions.

> Design feedback
>
> - make the background white like any other CP section
> - the buttons should not have a border, they should be similar to the
> ones in CP sectino
> - the buttons should not enlarge to fit the available space
> - the icons in buttons are too big, they should be the same size as CP
> section icons (GRID_CELL_SIZE)
> - the icons should have black stroke, white fill
> - the combo box should not enlarge too, use a left-aligned layout,
> like others CP sections
> - the progress dialog should be similar than the Software Update progress
> - Journal should be written with capital letter

Thanks for all these design points, will work on that.

> Testing
>
> - "remote backup" did nothing in my Sugar after pressing Continue.
> When is this option valid?  Can this option be avoided in that case?

Already auto-replied :)

Outside of the color issues, the icons are ok?

Thanks for taking time to review this.

Gonzalo

> References
>
> - Sofrware Update progress
>
> https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/83944/2188629/176e3154-9809-11e3-8aad-48afa77743dc.png
>
> - Combos are too wide:
>
> https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/83944/2188634/2d55f1b4-9809-11e3-85a0-e76286357e91.png
>
> - Icons too big:
>
> https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/83944/2188641/47ec1d5a-9809-11e3-9ae9-ec8a119f84eb.png
>
> - Suggested style for buttons:
>
> https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/83944/2188681/fad198c8-9809-11e3-9f47-5e836c26844a.png
>
> --
> .. manuq ..

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children