[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Backup / Restore feature

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Feb 17 14:35:27 EST 2014

Sending my comment to the mailing list to open discussion.
Feature pages:
- http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Backup_and_Restore
- http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Backup_and_Restore/Enhancements

Pull request
- https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/176

I think this feature should live in My Settings for the following reasons:

- it is a global operation, like My Settings > Software Update

- the patch adds a new modal window that is very similar to My
Settings.  This is very prone to confusion. And we should aim to have
only one modal to not complicate the shell.

- the code should live in extensions/cpsection.  This way is more
separated from the shell.  The less shell code we maintain, the
better.  And the less decoupled from the Journal, the better too (I
had to solve one conflict to test it already).

i can see why is good to have this attached to the Journal, but in my
opinion there are more cons than pros going that way.

Design feedback

- make the background white like any other CP section
- the buttons should not have a border, they should be similar to the
ones in CP sectino
- the buttons should not enlarge to fit the available space
- the icons in buttons are too big, they should be the same size as CP
section icons (GRID_CELL_SIZE)
- the icons should have black stroke, white fill
- the combo box should not enlarge too, use a left-aligned layout,
like others CP sections
- the progress dialog should be similar than the Software Update progress
- Journal should be written with capital letter

Testing

- "remote backup" did nothing in my Sugar after pressing Continue.
When is this option valid?  Can this option be avoided in that case?