[Sugar-devel] Depend on NetworkManager 0.9.9 for Sugar 0.102

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 11:54:12 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like that should be good enough Frederick?
>

> On Monday, 17 February 2014, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>
>> We can't move to F20 in XOs, then from our point of view,
>> would be good make it compatible with NM 0.9.8
>>
>> To identify version, in my system I can do:
>>
>> from gi.repository import NMClient
>> client = NMClient.Client()
>> client.get_version()
>>
>> '0.9.8.1'
>>
>> Is this good enough?
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is the patch btw
>>>

>>> https://github.com/FGrose/sugar/commit/102dd5f2147a4ddb0ce516f2d1c5907defbbba93

I deleted this fork for reconsideration.  The once-proposed patch is now here:
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/commit/102dd5f2147a4ddb0ce516f2d1c5907defbbba93

>>> --
>>> Daniel Narvaez

>> --
>> Gonzalo Odiard
>>
>> SugarLabs - Learning Software for children
>

> --
> Daniel Narvaez

I feel naive about the wireless stack and NetworkManager behavior
(which changed so recently).

For example,
How does the behavior change with rfkill?
How does it change with a removable wireless adapter like a USB or
PCMCIA device?

I had proposed looking for a cfg80211 holders in
/sys/module/cfg80211/holders/ in an earlier patch,
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/commit/f58fec25809649fa06b1a57f1fa65dd606c676a0

This worked for an XO-1, but some systems may use nl80211 instead or
have drivers in ROM (see
(http://www.haifux.org/lectures/206/wirelessLec.pdf).

It would be good to have some guidance from the community of wireless experts.

      --Fred