[Sugar-devel] Notification Improvements!

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 04:52:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have been working on a few improvements to notifications ( pull request -
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/393 ).  Here are the features
(links to feature pages):

* Urgency -http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Notification_Urgency
* Replacement -
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Notification_Replacement
* Progress Bar-
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Notification_Progress_Bar

I'm also rounding off the edges of a OO api for the notifications (dbus
isn't very nice).  It will really expose sugar only stuff (progress bars).

I was making all of these patches with one vision in mind: better auto
updates.  I was thinking having some silent progress notifications in the
background as well as one once the auto update is done.  So like "Scanning
for updates" (progress bar then "X updates found" as summary) then
"Updating XYZ" and finally "Your Activities Are Now Up To Date".  Also I
think it would be nice to have an "enable auto updates" switch in the
cpanel but that's another matter.

Sam