[Sugar-devel] A Better ASLO

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:47:08 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> Would be good think about what are the limitations we have today in ASLO.
>
> I want make clear this is not a critic to all the people who worked in
> ASLO,.
> and keep it alive and useful, just suggestions for the future.
>
> Loalization: Even when the interface is translated, you can't reliabily
> search using other languages.
> If I search "Pintar" (Spanish for "Paint") I get "Paint Web", but not
> "Paint" activity.
> The same happen if you search "Tortuga" (Turtle) or "Escribir" (Write).
> Looks like all the activities found are activities created by Spanish
> users, not sure what is the
> inde3xing logic, but we have all the information about the translations in
> the .xo file

I haven't really thought out search. My idea was to for loop through the
items (in users language) and use sub string. That probably isn't the best.

> Compatibility: we request the developer to set the max and min sugar
> version compatible with the activity,
> but is very common we (the developers) make mistakes with that.
> Would be great if we can check these versions and keep it updated,
> we know gtk3 activities are compatible with 0.98 or newer,
> web activities with 0.100 or newer,
> and we can check if the activity import the old toolbars, the new toolbars
> or both.
> Probably some other logic is neded, but I think would be enough to start.

Maybe we could set up a bot to deal with most of that stuff. Since json it
easy for computers it could just make the changes and commit it to github.

> should be great show it. In the end, I would like if we can get all the
> information we need
> in the .xo file.
> We already have a feature proposed to have all the information needed to
> create distro packages
> in the activity.info file
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Activity.info

Bots for the win?

> Dreaming a litle more, if we have the repository connected to the site, we
> could automatically
> create testing .xo files, and mark them as stables in some way, I supopose.

Well github lets you go to repo/archive/master.zip and get a copy. Since xo
files are just zip files we could just use that. We would need to change
their mime... but I think we can find a way!

> Just a few ideas, hope are usefull.
>

> Gonzalo
>
> --
> Gonzalo Odiard
>
> SugarLabs - Software for children learning

Sam