[Sugar-devel] Moving more modules to github

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 04:27:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

to be honest when I opened this thread I thought we would put these
activities under the sugarlabs github organization. Though when Ignacio and
Walter used their accounts I realized that would probably be the best
approach.

For development I think we should take advantage of the decentralized
nature of gitub. Ownership on github should follow maintainership.

Putting all the activities under sugarlabs would be bad from an
administrative point of view. Activity authors would have to somehow
request a new repository to be created and then wait for some (overworked)
admin to do it. The same thing for stuff like adding another maintainer etc.

It would also be impossible to enforce consistently, people which are less
connected with the core team would just put their activities under their
name anyway. We could apply this only to a certain subset of vetted
activities but then I'm not clear how this group would be defined. We have
fructose, but I would say it's an unsuccessful attempt given that it has
not been updated in ages and it's not mentioned at all these days.

Of course I see the need for a central place where people can look for
activities code. But I think that should be activities.sugarlabs.org, which
really needs links to source code repositories.

Note that there are successfull examples of similar two-layered approaches,
npmjs.org being the main one.

On 13 April 2014 04:26, Sai Vineet <saivineet89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think official activity repos should be under the SL github org.
> Otherwise they'll all be scattered. Right now it seems maintainers are
> putting it under their own ids.
> On Apr 13, 2014 8:48 AM, "Daniel Narvaez" <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For sugar I meant sugar-base really, keep getting that wrong!
>>

>> On 13 April 2014 04:16, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Update!
>>>
>>> Pootle and redirect:
>>>
>>> sugar