[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] age by year instead of by groups of years

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Apr 3 17:21:39 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 05:09:53PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback and the info re gender. I've made it
> possible to leave gender unspecified but I guess I need a mechanism
> to return to the unspecified state if gender is set. (I'm in the
> midst of an argument about this very issue with some friends of ours
> from ... who asked me to force our users to specify one of two
> choices for gender.  I've held my ground.)

Indeed, I face that kind of issue.  As an individual I prefer a
simpler world with two genders.

But the underlying science shows many continua of behaviour and
biology, which construct a multidimensional phase space where clusters
form.  Under Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
(1948) we can't exclude on the basis of sex or other status.  So the
tools we make also can't exclude.

As Sugar Labs you cannot push policy of majorities or minorities.

I have no trouble with the deployments patching or configuring their
Sugar to enforce their local law.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/