[Sugar-devel] Comments in code [ Gonzalo Odiard ]

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Wed Apr 2 11:40:32 EDT 2014

> <snip>
> > True, not much documentation in the code.
> > We don't use comments in every function or method,
> > and the code should be easy to read,
>
> May be I'm wrong but with comments and descriptions, I think, it
> becomes easy to understand the working for newbies.
>
> Assuming that the person reading the code knows nothing about what
> it's supposed to do. Comments then can explain every step of the way.
> Sorry to say but I think well commented functions will make the code
> easy to read. Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> but honestly

The code should be easy to understand, to know what is doing.
Usually comments are more useful to explain "why" is doing
what is doing, when is not obvious.
Develop need a lot of love to make it easier to understand.

Of course, newbie is a relative category :)
You will understand more and more with time and dedication.

> If you are stuck with this task,
> > maybe can look at other easier bugs
> >
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Develop#Pending_tasks
>
> Thanks for the useful link. But now that I have shared my problem and
> have spent a couple of days with it. I think, I should not let go that
> efforts in vain before getting the output. Otherwise it can make me
> feel depressed ;)
>
> And it's a problem with understanding only. Everything is there, I'm
> trying again with some other approach :)
>
> Thanks for being there and for that precious reply :)

Is ok, keep the communication alive.

--
Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children