[Sugar-devel] Flash and SWF in Browse build 13.2.0

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Mon Sep 30 20:49:48 EDT 2013

XO-1.5 with release 13.2.0

We have been providing educational resources on the school servers including
multimedia content from UNESCO, .swf objects embedded in web pages. Users
access it with Browse. It is necessary to install the Flash plugin (latest
rpm downloaded from Adobe).

However, when  upgrading to 13.2.0 the pages now display "missing plugin" in
the placeholders for the swf objects.

Similarly, we have been providing the Khan Academy videos (flv), which were
accessed using Browse to navigate to a folder on the school server and
clicking on the flv file required, which caused Browse to download the video
to the journal, from where it could be run in Jukebox (versions up to 26).
Now instead a player is displayed in Browse but nothing happens. If I take
the same files and put them on a USB stick and play them from that, it opens
Jukebox and plays them perfectly well, so the Gstreamer codecs have
installed OK.

How can I get Browse to play the swf objects as it used to?

How can I get Browse to download rather than play in a player that doesn't
work (or how can I get that to work)?

Always keeps one on ones toes when a new release comes out. However it's
hugely time consuming.

David Leeming