[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2013-09-16

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Thu Sep 19 23:39:16 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM, David Farning <dfarning at activitycentral.com
> [...]

> > Child Left Untableted, in this Sunday's magazine section [1]. The
> > author of the article was a skeptical of the approach taken by the
> > Murdoch-backed Amplify tablet. I've not seen the Amplify tablet yet,
> > so it is difficult to judge, but there is one photograph [2] in the
> > article that says it all: a tablet showing a blue screen with the
> > words "Eyes on Teacher". When technology becomes the affordance used
> > by the teacher to control the class, it is a sure sign that the use of
> > technology has gone seriously awry. With Sugar, we celebrate the fact
> > that the students are so engaged with learning that the teacher can
> > (in some cases literally) throw the stick out the window. It seems
> > with Amplify, they are handed a $199 digital stick.
> >
> > 2. There has been a renewed discussion on the lists about Android.
> > (The topic seems to come up once every 2-3 months.) Meanwhile, the
> > Sugar developer team continues to make great headway. Our approach has
> > two stages. The first stage [3] is to make HTML5/Javascript a
> > first-class development environment for Sugar. The basics are largely
> > complete: we already have about a dozen new activities that use the
> > new framework. There are many details that still need addressing and
> > undoubtedly the framework will change as we gather more experience,
> > but please do try it: early feedback is very helpful. The second stage
> > [4] is to migrate to the HTML5/JS apps to the Android platform. We
> > also need to migrate some Sugar services to Android, such as the data
> > store, and design some mechanisms for collaboration (we are exploring,
> > among other things, a web-services approach to collaboration).
> >
> > There are other approaches to getting Sugar up on Android. I blogged
> > about some efforts last year by students at the Homi Baba Center to
> > get Linux running on a generic tablet in order to run Sugar. George
> > Hunt has been taking a similar approach. Ruben Rodríguez has been
> > working with Ubuntu on Android, which would also support Sugar. These
> > efforts would likely provide more backward compatibility to existing
> > Sugar deployments; the downside is the need to reboot to launch
> > Android apps. As always, the problem with dual-boot in a school
> > setting is that the maintenance and support costs double.
> >
> > At the core of both efforts remains a dedication to what makes Sugar
> > valuable to the learner: the emphasis on tools for constructing; the
> > Journal providing interoperability between objects and a place for
> > reflection; the facility with which learners can collaborate; the
> > empowerment of the end user as the constructor of both tools and
> > knowledge. We remain dedicated to the principles of Free Software,
> > even in the commercial world of Android.
>
> Thanks for the detailed response. I must confess that I am suffering a
> bit from Android fatigue. My personal position is  to wait and see.
> The chatter that the Association led Android UI and framework is not

I'm also pretty upset about OLPC's direction with the tablet, to go down
the proprietary/non-free/locked-down route (or that is what it seems like
at the moment).

There was a time when in our community we had energetic discussions over
*just* transitioning from GPL v2 to v3.

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2011-April/030926.html