[Sugar-devel] Web activities on XO-4

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Sep 18 13:01:32 EDT 2013

I finally got web activities working on XO-4, in the AU build
published yesterday [1] .  I did it by modifying webactivities.py to
use WebKitGTK1 instead of v2.  The changes are:

https://github.com/manuq/sugar-toolkit-gtk3-1/compare/webacts-webkit1

I tried it with Gears Activity v3, and is working.  It stores the data
and the metadata.  So it is communicating with the shell just fine.

The touchscreen is not responding very well, at least in this
activity.  I can tap buttons, but I can barely drag to move a gear or
to draw one.  The dragging seems to be cancelled in the middle of the
action.  Mouse input works fine.

Also as expected, the icons look small in the XO screen because I need
to adapt the theme.  But that is an easy one, just changing the
CEL_SIZE variable in the LESS file to create another CSS for the XO
screen DPI, and adding a CSS media query selector to the HTML.  I'll
provide a patch to sugar-web-template and will update my web
activities.

The inspector is not working, it does not display.  It shoud display
by Ctrl+Shift+I or by right-click -> "Inspect element".  There is no
error in the logs and the API is there [2], but nothing is happening.
Surprisingly, JavaScript console logs go to the activity log.  We are
missing that in master.

I managed to keep the activity:// scheme that we need for the
same-origin policy, but I still had to add the setting
'enable-file-access-from-file-uris' to workaround the cross-site
requests.  I can't find a way to register the URI scheme in WK1, so I
added a big FIXME.

[1] http://build.laptop.org.au/xo/os/sugar-100/build-21/
[2] http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkitgtk/stable/WebKitWebInspector.html

--