[Sugar-devel] Bundlebuilder dev command

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 12:27:55 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013, Manuel Quiñones wrote:

> > I wonder if we should just drop the dev command, and suggest to develop
> > directly in sugar-build/activities (or ~/Activities when outside
> > sugar-build). All that the command does is to create a symlink anyway, if
> > someone really wants they can do that themselves easily... As it is, the
> dev
> > command feels like unnecessary magic to me.
>
> I'm so so with the idea of deprecating the dev command, Daniel.
>
> From one side you are right, all it does is create a symlink.  On the
> other hand, is a symlink added in the exact place, in order for Sugar
> to install your activity.  As a user, I never had to worry about it,
> it just works.  As a comparison, the 'volo create' command we have in
> sugar-web does simple operations as well (as we use it) but is very
> nice to have that automated.

Hi,

note that I'm not suggesting people should create a symlink, rather they
should develop directly in the activities directory. All that they need to
know is where that directory is, which is something that doesn't really
seem avoidable to hack on sugar. The fact that activities doesn't need a
build system, that you can just create a directory somewhere and start
writing code, is one of the best aspects of the sugar design IMO and the
dev command is hiding it behind a not very useful abstraction.

--
Daniel Narvaez