[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2013-09-16

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Tue Sep 17 16:18:03 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> == Sugar Digest ==
>
> 1. The 'New York Times' had an article about the tablet invasion, No
> Child Left Untableted, in this Sunday's magazine section [1]. The
> author of the article was a skeptical of the approach taken by the
> Murdoch-backed Amplify tablet. I've not seen the Amplify tablet yet,
> so it is difficult to judge, but there is one photograph [2] in the
> article that says it all: a tablet showing a blue screen with the
> words "Eyes on Teacher". When technology becomes the affordance used
> by the teacher to control the class, it is a sure sign that the use of
> technology has gone seriously awry. With Sugar, we celebrate the fact
> that the students are so engaged with learning that the teacher can
> (in some cases literally) throw the stick out the window. It seems
> with Amplify, they are handed a $199 digital stick.
>
> 2. There has been a renewed discussion on the lists about Android.
> (The topic seems to come up once every 2-3 months.) Meanwhile, the
> Sugar developer team continues to make great headway. Our approach has
> two stages. The first stage [3] is to make HTML5/Javascript a
> first-class development environment for Sugar. The basics are largely
> complete: we already have about a dozen new activities that use the
> new framework. There are many details that still need addressing and
> undoubtedly the framework will change as we gather more experience,
> but please do try it: early feedback is very helpful. The second stage
> [4] is to migrate to the HTML5/JS apps to the Android platform. We
> also need to migrate some Sugar services to Android, such as the data
> store, and design some mechanisms for collaboration (we are exploring,
> among other things, a web-services approach to collaboration).
>
> There are other approaches to getting Sugar up on Android. I blogged
> about some efforts last year by students at the Homi Baba Center to
> get Linux running on a generic tablet in order to run Sugar. George
> Hunt has been taking a similar approach. Ruben Rodríguez has been
> working with Ubuntu on Android, which would also support Sugar. These
> efforts would likely provide more backward compatibility to existing
> Sugar deployments; the downside is the need to reboot to launch
> Android apps. As always, the problem with dual-boot in a school
> setting is that the maintenance and support costs double.
>
> At the core of both efforts remains a dedication to what makes Sugar
> valuable to the learner: the emphasis on tools for constructing; the
> Journal providing interoperability between objects and a place for
> reflection; the facility with which learners can collaborate; the
> empowerment of the end user as the constructor of both tools and
> knowledge. We remain dedicated to the principles of Free Software,
> even in the commercial world of Android.

Thanks for the detailed response. I must confess that I am suffering a
bit from Android fatigue. My personal position is  to wait and see.
The chatter that the Association led Android UI and framework is not
free software is a bit disappointing.

The HTML5/JS work on Sugar seems to be a reasonable midterm approach.
The lingering question is how much work will it take to make the sugar
bits available within the framework. Is there an implementation plan
and funding available to complete the work?

David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com