[Sugar-devel] Private vs Public conversations.

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 20:53:17 EDT 2013

On 29 October 2013 01:14, David Farning <dfarning at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> As two Data points:
> In a private conversation with an Association employee they told me
> that they conciser Activity Central a competitor because Activity
> Central increased deployments expectations. Their strategy with regard
> to Activity Central was to _not_ accept patches upstream with the goal
> of causing Activity Central and Dextrose to collapse under its their
> weight. As it was private conversation I am not sure how widely spread
> the opinion was held.

The patch queue is currently empty. In the last six months only one
patchset was rejected. It was by Activity Central and it was rejected by me
(not an OLPC employee) for purely technical reasons. The proof being that
the same patchset landed after being cleaned up and resubmitted properly by
another Activity Central developer.

More in general, no single developer is in charge of patch reviewing, OLPC
couldn't keep code out of the tree for non-technical reason even if they
wanted to. More specifically the ability to approve patches was offered to
one Activity Central developer, which never used it.

Recently there was a call for help testing HTML5 and JS. Two
> developers Code and Roger have been writing proof of concept
> activities. They have been receiving extensive off-list help getting
> started. But, interestingly, their on-list request for clarification
> about how to test datastore was met with silence.

Mailing list posts going unanswered isn't really uncommon in free software
projects. But most of the time it just means that no one knows the answer
or everyone is too busy.

Only me and Manuel are usually answering about HTML5. I have not answered
because... gmail put those messages in my spam folder, sigh! Most likely
the same happened to Manuel or he has been busy. (I need to take some sleep
now but I'll try to answer asap).