[Sugar-devel] Activity Central's Sugar related priorities.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Tue Oct 8 17:58:29 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org> wrote:
> This actually is kind of what I meant (and perhaps should be a separate
> thread).
>
> My understanding is that deployments nowadays are the primary parties
> funding Sugar development.  And the deployments or their contractors
> sometimes duplicate work, run into debates upstreaming things, and/or may
> choose to keep some things semi-private to differentiate their products.
>
> So apart from major functionality like HTML5 activities, a lot of peripheral
> development is happening downstream-first.  And when we do try to do major
> cross-group development like the GTK3 port, this has lead to finger-pointing
> behind the scenes where it is claimed others are not doing what they
> promised.
>
> To the best of my knowledge no single organization currently employs enough
> developers and/or contractors to keep Sugar development alive.  I am not
> certain what the best approach to take is when this is the case.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this thread.

As Samuel points out, over the last several years, the ecosystem has
evolved from a single entity into a number of organisations with
overlapping, but not identical, goals. This opens the door for a
competitive ecosystem such as the kernel which thrives by making it
more effective to compete on top of a collaboratively developed
foundation rather than going it alone.

In this case, I don't know how the upstream / downstream relationship
will look. My feeling is that it will require us as individuals and
organizations to look at how we currently benefit (and struggle) by
competing and how we can set aside our egos and benefit by
collaborating.

In the coming weeks, Ruben and Anish will be available on the mailing
lists and at the conference in San Francisco to discuss if working
together is mutually desirable.

>From there, we can go in to the technical aspects of how to make that happen.

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 12:00:47AM +0200, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
>> > Well "everyone seems to be developing their own version of Sugar"
>> > seems to be more than that. But maybe I'm just reading too much into
>> > it.
>> >
>> > There aren't multiple groups of people or individuals developing
>> > sugar on their own. As far as I know all the work that is being done
>> > these days is going upstream.
>>
>> Good.  I only know of four Sugars.  Sugar upstream, Dextrose, what is
>> in OLPC OS, and what is in the Australian builds.  There might be
>> more, but I'm not aware of them.  I also don't know the difference
>> between each.
>>
>> --
>> James Cameron
>> http://quozl.linux.org.au/