[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Changing mime type in journal details view.

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:42:54 EST 2013

The ticket mention web servers misconfiguration. That might be pretty
common but I think the right fix for that case is to use GIO to get the
mime type (which will look at the file content) instead of trusting the
server.

If GIO detects the mime incorrectly (does that really happen?), then I
don't think a journal-only fix is good, it will cause inconsistencies
because stuff that looks only at the file will report a different mime type.

On 25 November 2013 19:14, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> My principal concern is a user can change the mime type, and later the
> activities can't manage the object.
>
> How common is the problem described in the bug [1]?
>
> Is a alternative show the combo only if the user press a shortcut? Or
> maybe er need add a "More options" button in the detailview, and reorganize
> it?
>
> Gonzalo
>
> [1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2924
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Martin Abente Lahaye <tch at sugarlabs.org>wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Christofer Roibal, has submitted a patch [1] for changing the mime type
>> of journal entries in the details view. This idea comes from a GCI task [2]
>> which he has completed.
>>
>> What he did is replacing the Gtk.Label, that shows the mime type, for a
>> Gtk.ComboBox. The combo is set to the corresponding option when the entry
>> metadata contains a mime type, otherwise is set to a empty/blank option.
>> The combo can be used to select another mime type for that entry.
>>
>> Please share your thoughts about this change, from the functional and
>> design POVs. We need to decide whether we include it or not.
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>> Saludos,
>> tch.
>>
>> Refs: