[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2013-11-12

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:15:43 EST 2013

==Sugar Digest==

1. I've been busy pulling together tasks for Google Code In [1] (with
help from Gonzalo, Sebastian, Laura, and Daniel). Sugar Labs already
has 153 tasks in the system so far, many of them culled from the bug
tracker (I mostly focused on enhancements to begin with.) We can
continue to add new tasks as the contest proceeds, so do be shy about
suggesting things.

Also, please, we need more mentors. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Once more, I also encourage you to solicit contestants from our user
community. Last year, we had great contributions from the Uruguay
deployment. I am hoping we are also able to reach other deployments
this year.

6. Finally released Turtle Blocks 193. I has Marion Zepf's Python
Export feature[2] (tip of the hat to Alan Aguiar and Martin Abente who
helped with some of the debugging). It is really fun. Create a Turtle
Art project, export it as Python, then open it in Pippy, the Sugar
Python editor. Alas, there is a bug in Pippy -- that I am chasing down
-- that prevents it from exporting Python to Sugar activities. But
once that is fixed, you'll be able to author Sugar activities in
Turtle Art!!!

Thanks too to Tony Forster, who helped me clean up the calibration for
XO 1.75 and XO 4 sensor input.

=== In the community ===

3. There will be a Sugar/Turtle Art Day at UWCSEA [3] on November 15.

4. olpc BaseCamp @ Malacca 2013 [4] is being held from November 16 -
18. On the 16th, we'll run a Turtle Art Day in parallel.

=== Tech Talk ===

5. Gonzalo updated the Feature pages in the wiki [5]. We are actively
soliciting features for Sugar 102. Please send email to sugar-devel
with your suggestions/plans.

=== Sugar Labs ===

6. Please visit our planet [6].

----