[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs Roadmap. [SD 61;79]

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 11:17:15 EST 2013

On 11 November 2013 05:10, David Farning <dfarning at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> My experience has been that "educational software politics and
> policies" have been been the dominate influence within Sugar Labs. If
> this is the role that Sugar Labs wants to maintain that is fine, as
> long as they open the door to other organizations focusing on "proven
> educational software quality."

The commits stats Gonzalo posted on this thread tells something very
different. In the last year Sugar Labs community developers made a lot more
more commits than company sponsored ones. Commits are not the most reliable
way of measuring contributions of course, but here they reflects pretty
well reality IMO.

> Both approaches have challenges. If Sugar Labs is willing to assume
> responsibility for quality education software, they will have to adopt
> a culture and processes which encourage feedback (even negative
> feedback) and ways to implement solutions to that feedback.

I think Sugar Labs is already assuming responsibility for the quality of
the software, in the form of contributions to the code base. We are doing
what we can to gather feedback too. How many times we asked for testing on
0.100 and we got almost none? I wish we had more feedback from the
deployments, but I have not idea of how to do that. Please help out with it?

> Otherwise they are going to have to accept the lose of control if
> other organizations such as AC provide that service.

I don't think we are afraid of organizations like AC getting involved. All
the contrary, I'd say the main Sugar Labs goal is to get more organizations
and individuals involved. Please contribute to the project and if you see
concrete roadblocks point them out, we will do what we can to remove them.

> As the bottom line; the Association is good at sales and marketing,
> Sugar Labs is good and vision and inspiration, and Activity Central is
> good at support and implementation. The most likely way to success is
> to figure out how these three, and any other organizations, can work
> together. Rather than focus on grudges.

Well, to set the facts straigths... OLPC is not selling Sugar anymore, as
far as I can tell from the comments on this list, some from ex OLPC
employees. And implementation has been done almost exclusively by the Sugar
Labs community in the last six months.

I hope AC will get more involved in the implementation and I'm encouraged
by the recent contributions. I'm sure a discussion on how we can concretely
help your support work would be welcome.

(You might have intended implementation in a larger sense, but the stricter
sense I'm using is a big part of it).