[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs Roadmap. [SD 61;79]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 10 15:03:25 EST 2013

>Thanks for clarifying. IMO we should not rewrite Sugar and activities using the Android SDK
>

>- While Android is nominally free software for it's licence, it seems the current development practices (like code drops) gives Google too much control on the project direction. I don't want to be locked in that kind of ecosystem.

True, but the choice is reaching 2 billion under Google's control or 2 millions without,
and actually _having_ an ecosystem

>- Android works only on certain hardware.

True but is way much wider than 99.9% of Sugar's current installed hardware (the 4 XO models)

>- I don't think it would be possible to implement the full UX being limited by Android SDK. Think of activities installation etc.

Hard to see why a Sugar specific channel can not be available for activities

>- We should keep supporting existing deployments, this would duplicate the work completely.

Post .094 Sugar can hardly run in 75% of its installed base (XO-1s), so we do not really support the majority of existing deployments.

I can actually fully understand the reluctance of a FOSS project to move under Google (or any other company). But is a matter of policies and priorities really.
On software politics I agree with you. The question is, does the 7 year run of OLPC/Sugar indicate that are also effective in the olpc goals?