[Sugar-devel] different perspectives

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Fri Nov 8 17:52:22 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM, David Farning <dfarning at activitycentral.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The highest rate of progress happens when the parties focus on getting
>> ahead of the other guys rather then when they focus on holding others
>> back. Progress tends to stop when one party gets so far ahead that it
>> is not worth it for others to compete.
>

> I don't disagree, but I would qualify that: The highest rate of progress
> happens when the parties focus on getting ahead of the other guys by
> changing the game. This is why I maintain that GNU/Linux distros considering
> each other as competitors is pointless at the end of the day when 92% or so
> of the desktop/laptop market is running MS Windows.

Agreed. That is one of the reasons Google is maintaining such a tight
hold on Android. They are trying to maintain the critical mass for the
OS by preventing fragmentation.

The downside becomes the somewhat extreme, by free software standards,
they are using to maintain control of the project.

--
David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com