[Sugar-devel] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign) [Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 55]

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 06:28:26 EST 2013

I don't think we should be suggestive of Sugar on a tablet until we have a
minimally realistic idea of how to get it done. There is enough talk about
this Sugar-on-Android which is not coming... :)

Though you are right that the Cubox-i might send the wrong message. I was
seeing it more like a vehicle for the software but, yeah, the hardware
won't be ignored. It would a better way to demo to developers or possible
hardware partners.

Another idea. Sugar in a web browser. It would be the easiest to get
running for the users and it's consistent with the current direction of
development. Lots of work left to have enough activities for it to be a
compelling experience... Maybe virtualized Sugar is the short term goal,
Sugar in a web browser is the long term one.

On Friday, 8 November 2013, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:

> >>  The larger problem is the absence of a marketing strategy, we need to
> know
> >>  where we are going to communicate effectively. In particular, we need
> >>  choose and implement how to offer Sugar tryout to teachers and
> journalists.
> >>

> > I can think of a couple of approaches
> >
> > * Get Sugar running well on the CuBox-i. Find budget to buy a few of
> those
> > to distribute to chosen journalist and teachers. Try to partner with
> > SolidRun to offer Sugar as an out-of-the-box installation option.
> >

> Although the hardware specs are a good target for Sugar3, I believe that
> suggesting a really small box with 5 cables connected to it to showcase a
> K-9 educational platform, may retract from the feasibility and thoroughness
> of the project.
> A decent rooted tablet (ie Nexus 7) running Sugar on top of Linux, even if
> the performance is not the best, would be much more catchy and maybe
> suggestive of a Sugar-on-Android to come.
> You can still do the CuBox thing but not for journalists and teachers.
>
> > * Make it easy to run Sugar inside VirtualBox on Windows and OS X.
> Without
> > having investigated too deeply it seems that a two step process would be
> > both realistically implementable and easy enough for the user
> >
> > 1 Install virtualbox
> > 2 Install a Sugar application (which would take care of setting up the
> > appliance).
> >

> This is certainly a good idea but it must work as advertised ie in 1 click
> after the VM software is installed.
> I would only add Parallels-VM/VMware appliances since may already be
> present in these closed OSs and can really provide "a single click to
> Sugar".

Daniel Narvaez