[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Tech roadmap

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Nov 6 10:12:18 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think Sugar Labs needs to express a clear, realistic technology roadmap.
> For example, we have been talking a lot about Sugar on Android, mixing a lot
> of different things under that name. We need to clarify what that really is.
>
> Here are my thoughts, inspired by the oversight board meeting thread.
>
> * Wait and see what happens with the XO. Support existing deployments by
> producing images with the most recent Sugar release. Stick to a Fedora 18
> base system, the work to upgrade is highly non trivial. Provide custom rpms
> for the sugar modules and a few dependencies, most importantly Webkit, which
> is required by web activities.

In the short term, we don't need backport Webkit2 to F18. In the long term,
we need find a solution to move to a newer Fedora in the XOs, maybe 20 or 21.

> * Ensure web activities run well in web browsers. This will cover Android
> and other non-Linux systems.
> * Reuse the work done by OLPC on Fedora to get Sugar running nicely on one
> or two ARM boards (Beagle board black and Cubox-i seems to be the best we
> could pick at the moment). Talk to the manufacturers to get publicity on the
> images we produce and devices for the developers.

Maybe not only ARM hardware. At least in South America, many places
are using Classmates in educative projects. I know talks between OLPC
and Intel were difficult in the past, but is a different world now.

> * Work with deployments to see if there are "complete" hardware solutions
> (Chromebooks for example) they could use. In the case of locked devices they
> might have the where-with-all to load custom software.
> * Migrate from X to  Wayland or support it in parallel (depending on the
> performance of non accellerated Wayland). GNOME is doing most of the work,
> but we will need the rework the window management bits. This will allow us
> to run on Android drivers with libhybris, which should help with hardware
> support.
>
> As you might have noticed there is no Sugar on Android, other than for
> drivers support and web activities running in a web browser. I don't think
> going beyhond those gives us any real advantage.
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> --
> Daniel Narvaez

Gonzalo