[Sugar-devel] sugar-web - How to load non-AMD js modules / libs?

Rogelio Mita rogeliomita at activitycentral.com
Sun Nov 3 01:05:18 EDT 2013

a small intrigue was presented to us related to the way of defining the
requirejs "activity" module:
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-web-template/blob/master/js/activity.js

We note that there are some alternatives to define modules proposed by
requirejs: Define a Module with Simplified CommonJS
Wrapper<http://requirejs.org/docs/api.html#cjsmodule> and
Define a Module as a
Function<http://requirejs.org/docs/api.html#funcmodule>, and
we no found any other apparent reason that this: *"If you wish to reuse
some code that was written in the traditional CommonJS module format it May
be Difficult to re-work to the array of dependencies used above, and you
May prefer to Have direct alignment of dependency name to the local
Variable used for that dependency "*.
Then, there is some particularity reason for you chose to use the "Define a
CommonJS Module with Simplified Wrapper" way?, it's just a curiosity that
can help us solve the intrigue =).
Maybe for having a reason for
var activity = require("sugar-web/activity/activity"); ?

2013/11/1 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>

> Yeah I think it make sense to mention it in the documentation, it's
> something every developer will run into. I'd suggest to try and keep our
> own documentation as short as possible and link out to the requirejs shim
> doc though, to avoid duplication and help maintenance.
>
> sounds good

> On Saturday, 2 November 2013, Code wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Daniel!
>> I'd rather use "shim", too.
>>
>> I think it's a common need to have non-AMD dependencies when building an
>> activity.
>> What do you think about finding out a canonical way to achieve this and
>> write it down in "write your own activity" doc?
>>
>> I'm willing to make a pull-request with the updated doc.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Code
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I think we have been suggesting to use the shim. Modifying loader.js
>>> should be fine, the template one shouldn't change often.

>>> --
>>> Daniel Narvaez
>>>

> --
> Daniel Narvaez