[Sugar-devel] About web activities, webkit2 and backward compatibility

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed May 22 07:36:45 EDT 2013

Tried to run a current web activity in current olpc build, 13.2.0 os6.

I copied sugar-toolkit-gtk3/src/sugar3/activity/htmlactivity.py inside
the activity, and changed activity.info accordingly. The activity
fails in line:

self._web_view.show()
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/blob/master/src/sugar3/activity/htmlactivity.py#L52

with a segmentation fault:

Terminated by signal 11, pid 1436 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'w' at 0xd67a18>, 'bc05e2b23867858d4df2bb97d5088312e4dffa1e')

2013/5/22 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday, 22 May 2013, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>>
>> > I think for development we really want the stable 2.0 API. I'd rather
>> > not have to worry about API changes.
>>
>> What webkit2 features are we using? Websockets works ok on webkit.
>

> I was not talking about webkit1 but about the webkit2 version in Fedora.
> There has been a lot of API changes in webkit2 between the Fedora version
> and the latest which we are shipping in sugar-build. From a quick look to
> release announcements it seems like the Fedora 18 webkit2 might be missing
> even some basic stuff like get_uri...
>
> If we went with webkit1 that would not be a problem. But I still think we
> should go with webkit2 for the stuff we are adding to toolkit and use
> webkit1 for the backward compatible activity.
>

> --
> Daniel Narvaez

.. manuq ..