[Sugar-devel] voice-by-computer?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun May 19 00:43:43 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:14:55PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> We cannot speak for OLPC, but we do have most of the active Sugar
> developers on this list. Can you tell us a bit more about your
> program?
>
> regards.
>
> -walter

if you dig into the stuff at:

http://www.thought.org/vbc/

you'll see how VBC began in the fall of 2011.  I started and stopped the
program as things in my own life changed.  [mostly due to my shoulder
subluximation in the late 1990's.]

in berkley unix and linux groups here in seattle, in the past 10 - 15
years, I would type my thoughts on a small laptop and run the file again
a speech program.  it does more that what I have outlined; there are a
few other things left to do.  mouse-clicking "File->Save" and so on.
What took me the longest was to write the "Options" menu stuff.  it lets
you select gender, volume, words-per-minute, and more.  Moreover, not
knowing much about the GTK+ libraries was like learning a new language!
{I'm teaching myself python to give the keyboard an optional "click")

gary